For an exhilarating and truly memorable day try our alpaca trek. Total event duration 3-3.5 hours includes refreshments, snacks & freshly made sandwiches
Our new event for 2018 is our alpaca trek. This is a double length alpaca walk with a break of a 10-15 minutes for refreshments approximately half way through the trek. At the end of the trek you'll have worked up an appetite so we're sure you'll enjoy our lunch of freshly made sandwiches, fresh fruit salad and cold/hot drinks to finish. Not forgetting a chance to browse our range of alpaca products.
You'll start your trek with a short talk about alpacas and the Yew Tree herd. We then go to our fields where you meet your alpaca and a short pre-trek training session before we set out.
The trek is approx. 1½ - 1¾ hours and the whole visit to Yew Tree Alpacas 3-3½ hours.
This is an ideal option for those who have already been on an alpaca walk either at Yew Tree or elsewhere. If you have not walked an alpaca before, we recommend our shorter walk option first. However this is not essential and if you consider yourself physically fit and confident around animals then this trek may be just for you.
If you have already been on one of Yew Tree's alpaca walks our trek is a great opportunity to extend your alpaca experience. Although the first half of the trek will be on familiar territory, the second half will be an entirely new route for you. You can request your favourite alpaca when you book - complete the notes section.
There are two booking options; you can have your own alpaca for the entirety of the trek OR share an alpaca with a friend – you and your friend can take turns leading your alpaca during the trek. As a souvenir of your memorable day, you can also choose our photo option - have 2-3 photos of you and your alpaca and a group photo emailed afterwards or take the hard copy option.
One person trekking with their alpaca - £48.50 including refreshments en route and lunch after the walk
Two people sharing £77.00 including refreshments en route and lunch after the walk
If you would like to purchase photos after the event you can do so here.
We are planning just two alpaca treks this year (2018)
- Friday 27th July 2018 at 11am - Fully booked
- Friday 24th August 2018 at 11am
Approximate finish time 2-2.30pm
If you'd like to give Alpaca trekking as a gift we also offer gift vouchers/certificates which are valid until 30th April 2019 and can also be booked via our online shop. The recipient can then book/buy any item including trekking. The values of the gift voucher available are £25. £50, £75, £100
Please note the following terms & conditions regarding Yew Tree Alpacas, Alpaca Trekking
- We can take a maximum of 8 alpacas on the trek and a minimum of 5. If the bookings fall below 5 then we will offer an alternative date or your money back.
- When walking out in the countryside we have two Yew Tree personnel on foot at the front and back of the alpacas for extra safety and security.
- Children are welcome 10 years and above. They can share an alpaca with an adult but the accompanying adult must be 16 years or above. Note you cannot book 1 person, 1 alpaca option for a child under 16 yrs.
- Children accompanying an adult (sharing an alpaca) must be 10 yrs and over.
- Note if you book just 1 adult 1 alpaca option we assume you will be attending alone. If it is only you who wants to do the walk and your partner isn't interested then you book the shared option and you do all the walking with our alpaca
- There is no discount on the two person price if the child is one of the pair
- Our all inclusive price includes the initial talk, advice and guidance on handling, the alpaca trekking experience both in our fields and out in the countryside and tea/coffee & sandwich lunch at the end of the walk and biscuits/refreshments during the walk.
- On booking you will receive confirmation by email within 48 hrs. Approx 5-7 days before the event you will receive the detailed programme and info about what to wear and what to expect.
- You can swop to a different date of trek at no extra charge if more than 14 days before the date of your walk. If you swop to a new date within 14 days prior to the event there will be a charge of £10 per booking.
- Cancellation 14 or more days prior to the event 50% refund. Within 14 days no refund.
- If some of your group do not attend on the day there are no refunds. The cancellation rules apply, therefore if, up to 14 days before the event part of your group cannot attend then you can cancel and receive 50% refund.
- Please note the duration of the alpaca trek is approx. 1.5 to 1.75 hours on local footpaths and bridleways with some uneven ground. The whole event is 3-3.5 hrs. if you are a slow walker, unsteady on your feet or have an injury which impacts on your walking ability, then the trek will not be suitable. You must also be able to use both hands to hold the lead rope when walking your alpaca, if you cannot do this then the alpaca trek is not suitable for you. If you are not sure then please telephone us and we will advise whether the trek is suitable or rather the shorter alpaca walk or our alpaca adventure.